You might be wondering, “Is there really such a thing as a gold standard for chili?” Well if you ask my husband that question the answer is ‘yes’ and this is the recipe. The special man in my life eats 2 cups of this stuff every day for lunch. Yes, you heard me. Every. Day. I offer him other kinds soups and chilis to pack in his lunch but when I ask him to choose, the answer is always, “the standard.” It has come to the point that his co-workers are concerned – but that may mostly be due to the fact that he eats it cold. Yeah, it’s that good.
I am not going to lie to you. This is a fairly basic chili recipe. However, after cooking this on a weekly basis for almost 3 years, my husband and I have found a few ways to increase the fullness factor and make this already healthy recipe even more nourishing. The first way to accomplish both of these things is by adding more beans. We are talking 4 cans of fiber-filled goodness. Then we add not one – but two bell peppers.
So let me just outline the few reasons why this chili has become a staple in our household (besides the fact that my husband love love loves it.)
- First of all, it is super easy to make (a majority of the ingredients are canned goods, therefore minimal prep)
- This makes enough to feed a family of four plus leftovers –> HELLO, cook once, eat twice!
- It’s filling. Like, “OMG I may never be hungry again,” filling.
- It contains over half the amount of fiber you need in one day. (The main reason for the full-factor)
- Last but not least, it is oh-so DELICIOUS.